2019 Tie Up Loose Ends short film rules
4th annual screenplay and production competition
Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival
Thank you for your interest in the 4th annual “Tie Up Loose Ends Competition,” a screenplay and production competition that has become a fan favorite at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival (MIFF).
Screenplays are requested for review by the Tie Up Loose Ends MIFF screening committee. These short screenplays shall have a “loose end” (no conclusion); the conclusion will be “tied up” (completed) by the film producer. One screenplay will be selected by the screening committee to be made public by the MIFF to be produced by all filmmakers who wish to compete.
Each filmmaker shall interpret and produce the short project (five minutes or less) any way they wish, including creating their own unique ending. All, or if too numerous, a selection of the best of the submissions will be shown at the MIFF. Awards will be given in recognition of the BEST ENDING and for BEST OVERALL PRODUCTION.
Supporting organizations for this MIFF competition are: Florida Independent Filmmakers, Brevard Film & Talent, Women in Film & Television Florida, and Space Coast United Filmmakers Association.
“TIE UP LOOSE ENDS” SCREENPLAY REQUIREMENTS
- Must be in a screenplay format submitted to the MIFF: Eric Emerick at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must be producible on a minimal budget, require readily available props and locations, and be practical to shoot in a single day
- The production must be able to get a PG-13 or less restrictive rating
- The end of the production must be left open for each of the filmmakers to complete
- To allow the filmmaker enough time to create an ending, the length of the submitted screenplay should be less than 3.5 minutes: under four full pages.
- All screenplays must be submitted to the MIFF by January 18 (early submissions are appreciated)
- The screening committee will select one screenplay and make it public on the MIFF website
- Screenplays from previous years may be resubmitted
- There is no cost to submit a screenplay
“TIE UP LOOSE ENDS” SHORT FILM COMPETITION REQUIREMENTS
- The selected screenplay will be announced and made public by the MIFF no later than February 5, 2019. A link will be provided here: “Behind Closed Doors” by Jennifer Frandsen
- Following the MIFF release rules (available on the Film Freeway Rules & Guidelines section), any filmmaker may submit a short production based upon the provided screenplay and their unique ending
- The completed production must be no more than five minutes including credits
- The short film submission must be able to get a PG-13 or less restrictive rating
- The completed short film competition submission will be judged based upon its adherence to the provided screenplay (minor variations are allowed), the added conclusion, and overall creative and production quality
- Awards for the best overall production and best ending will be given at the MIFF
- Completed “Loose Ends” short films must be submitted to the MIFF by July 4, through Film Freeway *Special pricing of $20 for each “Loose Ends” submission due to the inherent short production period.
- The screenplay writer and MIFF (with the MIFF’s provided logo) shall be credited in the production
“TIE UP LOOSE ENDS” RIGHTS AND COPYRIGHT
- The screenplay writer shall retain the copyright for the provided screenplay and license it to the MIFF for use in this competition (a release form will be provided)
- Each program producer shall retain all rights to their production and accept the MIFF release rules (available on the Film Freeway Rules & Guidelines section)
- The individual program producers, if requested by the screenplay writer, shall license their production for use by the screenplay writer for self-promotion, but not for profit, film festival submission, publication on the internet or other use without written permission from the program copyright holder
Updated January 31, 2019